Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Money saver: Join a community band

As you may or may not remember, I've been a member of the Brookline Community Band for a few years now. Most of our performances are at retirement/ rehab/ convalescent homes. We sometimes get paid...in sugar-free cookies, fruit cups, and water. I love it. It reminds me a little of visiting my late grandparents. That is, without the smoke and the back-scratcher.

But then it gets better. In spring, there's the annual pancake breakfast. Put on by the Brookline Rotary Club, it's basically a benefit for some of the high school's sports teams and such. We play at the event every year, and every year we get free admission. That means free all-you-can-eat pancakes! And not only pancakes: there's breakfast sausage too, and you can add all sorts of toppings (like whipped cream and raspberry sauce. Also pancake syrup for the less adventurous). Then, you can wash the deliciousness down with Starbuck's coffee, OJ, chocolate milk, or apple juice. And it's all free! What a money saver! This year, I considered staying and having pancakes for lunch, too, but all my fellow bandies had left and I thought it might look a little weird if I stayed.

Yesterday was another money saver brought to me by the Brookline Community Band: Our annual performance at the Boston Marathon.
random marathon shot...I think about 2 feet to the right of where the shot gets cut off was a guy dressed as Captain America

It was rather chilly and quite windy yesterday, which made playing difficult, but I had NO problem housing my subsequent free hot dog, Doritos, and can of Pepsi.

So what is the moral of the story? Join a community band! The benefits might not always be healthy, but they're delicious and they're free!

Another useful money saver that is somewhat related? This free sample blog.
Excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment