Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I GOT A JOB!

Nahhh, I didn't. April fools! Are you laughing? Don't be fooled by the tears-- I am! Maybe on the inside...

If you are going to plan any sort of AF joke, there are four kinds you should know about:
  1. Sad
  2. Mean
  3. Stupid
  4. Funny & Nearly Harmless
My joke today, for example, was Sad. Just like the joke an ex played on me one year. We were an on-again, off-again kind of couple, and one year on April Fools Day, we were off again. I wanted to be on again, but she didn't want to. No, this time was for real. She called me and said we should get back together, though, on April Fools Day. I asked "really?" and then she said "No, not really," laughed, and hung up.

Actually, the more I think about it, that joke was not only Sad, it was Mean. It was Smean.

An example of a Stupid AF joke would be something like the plastic wrap on the toilet seat. How is it funny to see a coworker skulkily return from the bathroom with pee on their pants and shoes? For me anyway, it's not that funny. Then again, I'm not a pie to the face, banana peel kind of gal.

Finally, a good example of a Funny & Nearly Harmless AF joke is the best AF joke I've ever played on anyone: Theft of the Left.

It was college and I lived in a townhouse with 9 other women. My roommate and I lived in the basement, where we came up with our Theft of the Left master plan. One incredibly gullible housemate of ours lived upstairs. She was our victim. One day, while she was at class, we went into her room and took all of her left shoes. Giddy, we hid them downstairs in our closets and imagined her reaction. We waited. We heard her arrive home and expected some sort of reaction shortly thereafter, but...nothing. Days went by. A week. Finally, 12 days later, she called my roommate and I (she knew we did it). She had worn the same pair of shoes for 12 days, thinking nothing of the fact that when she wanted to wear another pair, she couldn't find the left shoe. But that day she needed her fancy shoes to go to an interview, so the jig was up. But oh my, 12 days! The three of us laughed, and she went to her interview with both fancy shoes on her feet.

What's your best April Fools story? I'll take the first caller on line one.

1 comment:

  1. Incredibly Gullible HousemateApril 8, 2009 at 9:14 AM

    You know, I still tell people that April Fools joke too! In my defense, it was college so I just wore my sneakers everywhere :-)

    ReplyDelete