Thursday, January 1, 2009

Sanity Sheets

I'm trying desperately not to hate my job. After all, even if I feel like I am trapped under something heavy at times, at least I have a job, right?

So, for my new year's resolution, I've decided to try and remember to be grateful for this job. Or at least, to try to not hate it so much. For this, I've devised some "Sanity Sheets" that will help keep me sane when things like the "wow you smell good" incident start happening to me.

Here's what I have so far:
  • It could always be worse.
  • One day, eventually, you will have found a new job and will no longer be working here.
  • One day, you'll be able to look back on this and laugh!
  • Remember to breathe. No, really, stop holding your breath; you're turning blue.
  • Keep on smilin'!
  • You're making more money than you would on unemployment checks.
  • You're smart, pretty, and you tell good jokes.
  • Your fiancee likes you a whole lot, and so do your two dogs.
  • You don't care, so you don't have to care.
That last one is Yogi Berra-ish, and it's my favorite. I don't care about this job anymore. I have essentially checked out. Therefore, I don't have to care about whether I'm doing an awesome job or not, I just have to do my job. This is a big shift in thinking for me - I like to do things so well that my bosses are notably impressed. But now, I don't have to do that because I know I won't be working here forever. I just have to complete each task and I'm good to go!

So hopefully, when I go back to work next week, my Sanity Sheets will help keep things in perspective...

No comments:

Post a Comment