- Like movies? Free Friday Flicks (they copied my alliteration idea...jerks) every Friday night (now through August) at the Hatch Shell. Shown at sundown in good weather, click here for schedule.
- Like Italian stuff/ the North End? Check out the Boston North End Italian Feasts (summer feasts, festivals, parades, etc., often complete with marching bands) now through August
- Like the night sky? Visit the Coit Observatory at BU: Wednesdays after 8:30pm = free stargazing (times differ by season)
- Like (or like to dislike) Shakespeare/ like to laugh? The complete works of William Shakespeare (abridged) to be presented OUTDOORS AT CHRISTIAN HERTER PARK (Home of The Publick Theatre) 1175A Soldiers Field Road, Brighton, MA. I can't wait to see it - apparently, it's real funny! Also, you can bring your own food to cook out! Now through August.
- Like lunch? Every Wednesday, restaurants in Quincy Market with the "Taste of Quincy Market" sign offer samples as a part of their International Food Festival.
- Like music and free samples? The WBOS Summer Concerts at Copley run on Thursdays from July 12 to August 16. Shows are free and begin at 5:30pm in front of historic Trinity Church in Copley Square Park. The August 16th one looks good: Jonatha Brooke and Matt Nathanson!
- Like the Temptations and/or the Beach Boys? Oldies 103.3 has a free concert series at the hatch shell featuring those two bands. I think it's just July.
- Like boats and free samples? Head of the Charles Regatta October 17th and 18th on the banks of the Charles. There's tons of vendors there, too, giving out free stuff.
- Like arts? The Boston Arts Festival is Sept 11-13 noon to 6 at Christopher Columbus Park
- Like wine? Best Cellars (745 Boylston St.) has free weeknight tastings from 5 to 8 p.m and on weekends 2 to 5 p.m. Oh and the Wine Gallery (375 Boylston St. in Brookline or 516 Comm Ave in Boston, or the one in Dedham) always has that cool tasting jukebox. Sometimes there's tasting events and stuff - check their website.
- Like beer? There's always the free tastings and tours at the Samuel Adams Brewery in JP and at the Harpoon Brewery on Northern Ave in Boston.
Friday, July 10, 2009
Should you find yourself in the Boston area this summer and fall, here are a couple of free things (free= money saving!) to check out (the list focuses on stuff you'd normally have to pay for and also stuff that you might not be aware of):